Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Evening Stresses

Monday night we went to my husband's softball game and then he wanted to go across the big bridge to see an old friend from high school who was in town for a conference. We went to see her the last time she was in-state at a conference in Orlando (2 hours away). I was originally going to let him go by himself, but I had kind of a crappy evening up to that point and I didn't relish going home by myself to deal w/ the kiddos for a few more hours and so I ended up going, too. She and I had been friends in high school, too, though she and my husband were closer.

(Interruption: On my way to the game, I was picking up Chili's take-out for dinner. They have a new feature where you can order online and go to the curbside pick up and pick it up, which I love because for some strange reason, I hate calling to order take out or delivery. I kinda hate talking on the phone to non-friends or family. It makes me nervous. I get there and realize that my debit card is missing - I only have the card we were using for our construction expenses, which had a current balance of about $12 on it. My order was $24, not counting tip. The guy who brought me my food and the manager were SO nice - once I explained and asked them if they could maybe take part of the order off to bring down the cost or whatever, the manager input several discounts into the system for me and brought my order down to $8 and change. She explained that they would have had to throw the food out, so they might as well give it to me and they'd rather keep my future business, so they were SO kind and gave me this huge discount and let me take all my ordered food, even though I didn't have nearly enough money on me. I thought I was going to have to go hungry, since I was going to have them take off my part of the order first and see if I could cover the remaining Fuss and husband's food with my $12. I was so relieved and grateful. But then, I got stuck in the WORST traffic and I was all agitated by the time we got to the ball field. And the entire time - through all this - my daughter just kept whining that she was hungry, that she was bored, that she wanted this or that or this other thing... I did NOT want to take her home by myself at the end of the night and have to juggle her bedtime and the baby, etc.)

So, anyhow, we went to see H and we took the kids to Coldstone to distract Fuss and give me a place to sit and nurse the baby while we talked. It was a lot of fun and it was great to see her. Fuss threw a temper tantrum in the bathroom when I tried to change her diaper, but was mostly okay. The baby was wonderful until just before we got home (he REALLY wanted to be out of his seat, and I couldn't blame him. This was usually a high-cuddle time for him. And while he did spend the entire game time and our visiting time out of his seat, he isn't that crazy about it to begin with, so the in and out of the seat was driving him crazy.) However, when he wasn't in his seat, he was incredibly smiley and kept cooing at me and "telling me stories" and it was SO cute and he is just so great at reminding me how much I love being a mom when I'm really over-the-top stressed. (He's just like his daddy that way!) I also got fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts out of the deal, so that was an added bonus.

We didn't get home until about 11 and put Fuss to bed immediately and changed and fed Little Man as soon as possible. But then he was wide awake, so Daddy Fuss had to rock him for nearly an hour to get him to sleep. It was a late night in the Family Fuss household.

(2 posts today - there is a 30 for 30 post before this one)

No comments:

Post a Comment