Saturday, November 7, 2009

Blanket

A little over 2 years ago, when we got the official "yes, you are pregnant" results from my GYN, I rushed to the baby department at Target. I found the perfect thing to celebrate our new little bean - a green, incredibly soft blanket with Winnie the Pooh on it. It was so pretty and soft and perfectly gender neutral and exactly what we planned for our nursery (sage green, Pooh themed) and as I'm obsessed w/ blankets, it was even more perfect.

Unfortunately, not long after that, they discontinued that exact blanket & my BFF's second son had chose that one (she had one, too, sharing my love for incredibly soft blankets) for his "blankie" by the time Fuss was born. When Fuss (and I) showed affection for another (granted, prettier - my favorite shower gift from one of my SILs) lavender blanket, I needed a second one. It could be procured on ebay, reasonably priced, so since BFF was searching high and low for the green one which I'd only used twice, she bought it from me and I bought Fuss a perfect copy of her lavender blanket as my own spare. Logically, this made perfect sense. Then and now. But the day I left that blanket at BFF's house, I remember feeling a pang of sadness. That was the first thing I bought for my baby and I gave it away...

Anyhow, I was determined to not make that mistake again and when I bought first items for subsequent offspring, I would hold on to them.

The budget being what it is, I hadn't yet searched for Numfar's item - a blanket or stuffed animal, suitably gender neutral for the unknown, but something soft, sweet and sentimental that I could bring to the hospital and baby could love for years and know that he or she was wanted from the very beginning. It seems a little odd to shop for one now, but I wish I had done so earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment