Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Workin' For A Livin'

As i was leaving the park this morning (my morning walk w/ Jo and the kids) I watched 2 women (I'm assuming mother/daughter) and a little kid (in a stroller, around Fuss's age) walk over to the lake where the ducks hang out. The mother opened up a bag of baby snacks (looked like those yogurt melts) and dump them on the ground for the ducks. They were standing about 4 feet away (they walked right past it) from the "don't feed the animals" sign. So, in addition to wasting that much money (those packs are about $3 at Target) they were also breaking the rules. I was really miffed about that. Why is it so hard to follow the reals?

++++++++++++++++++

I arrived at work yesterday to find a sign on the door saying "Closed for Columbus Day." Would have been nice if someone had bothered to tell the girl who was supposed to OPEN that day, huh? I called my dad before I actually left again, and he told me to go ahead and open, but we weren't processing that day. He opened our main store and when I talked to him later, he informed me that he was going to close my store for good. When I asked when, he told me end of October!

We didn't get much farther in our discussion, so I don't know that many more details of his thoughts, but I am rather shocked and the speed of this decision and upset at the possibility. I'm losing my job and my income and then, I have the emotional issues of losing the place that I spent half of my childhood, the place where my nephew and my best friend's kids spent lots of time.

I cried. While I was talking to my husband, I started to get really upset. It's ironic. Starting in November, I was going to be able to pay for the groceries and toiletries out of my my paycheck and use the rest for spending money. It's not a lot, but it would have been enough to go out to dinner more often, buy some clothes occasionally, buy some presents occasionally, and possibly save some up for various projects.

There are some possibilities still open, as far as employment goes, to remain working for my dad. It won't be as easy or conveinient, no matter what. We shall have to see.

Regardless, I'm under a lot of stress. I'm not prepared for this, and it's incredibly frustrating. I'm sad to lose this place, and while I don't love my job, it's comfortable and easy for me to do without a lot of thought, and it allows me to bring Fuss with me, of course. I'm going to miss that a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment