Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Friends that people don't understand

I find myself talking about the bloggers I read as if I've had a conversation with a friend. My husband knows them by their first names, knows the names of their children and often, their husbands since I've talked about them so frequently. In casual conversation with a friend, I usually refer to them simply as "a friend" without explaining that I have never in my life met them face-to-face, nor do I expect to (though it would be really nice to meet any number of them.)

It only gets complicated if the question is asked how I know said person. A lot of people just sort of nod, but you can read the expression of doubt. Others sort of subtley roll their eyes.

Maybe it's weird. Maybe having more friends inside the computer than out is a little odd. But when you're a stay-at-home-mom sometimes you have to take what you can get. But really, my bloggy friends and my message board friends are really important to me. Sometimes I feel that I have more in common with them than I do with my IRL friends. Maybe it's because we're more open on the internet - we don't have to deal with the social boundaries when we write a blog or post on a message board - we don't have to play the small-talk games, or pretend. We can vent, usually without judgement (there are always trolls, natch) and get good feedback and support and advice when needed.

There's a piece of flair/bumper sticker saying that says "I love my computer because my friends live there" and I really find it to be true, more often than not. I talk with Maggie, Julia, Mama Plett, Brittany, Amanda, and my friends on the boards (who don't all have blogs) on a daily or weekly basis. I can't say that about all my IRL friends.

I guess what I'm saying is, thanks for being there, girls. I am so blessed to have your friendship in my life!

3 comments:

  1. AWWW. I am BLUSHING.

    It's true. I have computer friends I talk to more - WAY MORE - than real life friends. But I am not ashamed! It's true, as a SAHM, you take what you can get! (And what you get happens to be pretty awesome, if you ask me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....you're sweet!

    I am so attached my computer friends too! Heck, I met my hubby online, so clearly, technology & I are friends. :o)

    ReplyDelete