Monday, August 17, 2009

Booky, booky book book

Don't ask about the title. I'm feelin' a little weird.

I read The Time Traveler's Wife this weekend. I have been watching the previews for the movie and since I LOVE Rachel McAdams I certainly want to see it. My mother ingrained in me as a child that you read the book before you watch the movie, so when she bought the book at Target and offered it to me to read first (I'm a speed-reader and she bought another book, too, so I was guaranteed to have it done by the time she was ready for it) I took her up on it.

I had been told that it was a little weird and hard to get through, etc. And it was a little odd with the jumping around in time and age, etc. but the story was engaging and beautiful. I was hooked after the first few chapters and while often a book with a "change of voice" (where you read from the perspective of multiple characters) sometimes drives me crazy, I liked it in this case.

I HATED the ending. I could think of half a dozen ways they could have ended it differently and better. Sometimes I think an ending is horrible, but you can't really come up with an alternate ending, but this time there was so much more that could have been done. I seriously hope they do something different in the movie. Whether they change it (as I've seen a gazillion times in movies lately) or simply simplify and clarify, it really hope there is a noticeable difference.

It was nicely put together, though. Until the last little bit, I was entranced with the story and the plot and the characters. I've also been very attracted to the name Claire lately (the one in the story is spelled "Clare") so that intrigued me even more. (I'm a name-aholic, what can I say? I love stories with good names.)

No comments:

Post a Comment