Wednesday, December 22, 2010

High-functioning Headache

We went to dinner with my husband's family last night - we were celebrating Uncle James' birthday (he lost both his SIL - our Gma - who was his closest friend and his wife this year. He has no other local family, so it was important to have a celebration for him.) On our way over, (it's a about a 40-minute drive) my back was really bothering me, but I just thought my muscles were sore from carting the baby around and maybe from working - stretching in ways I was no longer used to. As the evening wore on, my pain and discomfort grew and by the time we were on our way home, I had a full-blown tension headache that was threatening to make me scream.

I took some ibuprofen when we got home and tried to relax a bit. I was able to fall asleep and slept several hours, but when the baby woke me at 5am, my head was still pounding pretty hard. I got up and took some more ibuprofen and went back to bed after he ate. Two hours later, it was no better. I took a shower - often that helps - and it did help a bit, but as soon as I got out of the shower, it came back with full-force. (I considered calling my husband to come home, but I knew it wouldn't be possible. He is working from home tomorrow, and he's taking 1 or 2 days off next week to get his wisdom teeth removed.) I fed the baby and then took one of my prescription pills from when I was pregnant, assuming that they were okay while nursing.

Once it kicked in, I was feeling better. But there is still this nagging ache, but not as strong and somehow, it feels more "distant." I was able to meet up with my best friend and her boys for a last-minute trip to Kohl's (my current favorite store other than Target) and do some laundry.

I'm accomplishing stuff today, but I feel awful. I am grateful that I don't have to work today (as was originally assumed) and I just have so much to do! I'm hoping to clean up the living room and finish wrapping presents when the kids take their naps. But I may end up sleeping myself.

I confess that I have parked Fuss in front of the TV to keep her quiet. I have supplied her with snacks ranging from very healthy (grapes and yogurt) to not-bad-for-her (goldfish crackers) and she is happy and quiet. And that is what I need right now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your headache is so bad - I wish we closer to each other so we could help each other out when we are at the end of our ropes! Feel better!

    I'm taking 1/3 off with the kids ...want to try to get together?

    ReplyDelete