Wednesday, August 18, 2010

There was a little girl...

You know what kills me about this whole 2-yr-old thing? The randomness of her behavior. She is a really good kid. Mostly, she's well-behaved, sweet, funny, amusing, etc. But when she gets upset (even if it's completely random upsettedness) she erupts like a volcano!

I've noticed that I get more embarrassed when these eruptions happen in front of other people. My dad has been around the house a lot more lately, doing work on the new room, and he's been witness to a few of these tantrums. I'm not sure he knows how to interact with her or me when she's in a mood. And this weekend, an old family friend was here helping my dad with some work and Fuss had a meltdown of epic proportions. Because I wanted to change her diaper while she was watching a program. I typically can just wait out these problems - I give her her options (we can pause the show and you can get your diaper changed and come back, or we can turn off the TV and you can get your diaper changed) and let her fuss for a minute or so while she contemplates this issue and ultimately usually does what I'm asking. But this weekend, with Nick here... I was SO embarrassed. This is the first time he's ever seen her and she's acting like a brat. (My dad came in and rescued me - it's hard for me to physically pick her up when she's resistant these days, so he did it and delivered her to the changing table...) But even still, I was embarrassed of her behavior. I'm typically a good mother. But she's 2. And she can't always be reasoned with.

There was a little girl
Who had a little girl
Right in the middle of her forehead
When she was good
She was very, very good
And when she was bad
She got spanked
(the version my mother used to quote to me)

No comments:

Post a Comment