Monday, July 12, 2010

Writin'

I've written a ton of stories in my life. I've written reports and short stories for fun and school. When I was younger (read: jr high) I had this whole series in the works called "The Fabulous 14" about FOURTEEN best friends. I was really into characters and character development. Before I had a few pages of the story written, I had put hours upon hours into character development and backstory for each of them. Needless to say, I eventually got bored and nothing came of it. I've since realized that that is way too many main characters. But I really like characters. I've always spent a lot of time figuring out my characters before I focus on the plot.

This time, however, I haven't really put a lot of effort into the background of my characters. And I'm missing a bunch of details. And I need to figure out some of those details before I get too much further. I need to know what my main heroine does for a living. I've not even remotely begun to describe her physical features, her family, etc. Mostly because I don't know yet. Somehow, I can see them, but not put it into words or something.

It's a very weird way for me to write. And maybe that's a good thing, since I never can seem to actually finish the things I write (or, in the case of very short stories, the plot is so incredibly boring that no one - including myself - would want to read it.)

I don't know if I should go back now and fill in some of the background or if I should just move forward with the story, hope the facts come to me, and fill in some details on my first round of edits or what. I guess I'll take it as it comes, though I kind of wish I knew a few more details about my main characters, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment