Monday, May 31, 2010

Thanks.

My grandfather (well, grandfathers) was in the military, though I imagine most men were in those days... it being the heart of WW2 and all. But Grampa W was in the Navy and my mom has always had a heart for Navy guys (I know she didn't marry one, but she likes them nonetheless). (The Other Grandfather was in the Army.)

My favorite Uncle was in the US Air Force.

My dad served in the National Guard during Vietnam. (His way of being able to remain stateside and continue helping out my Grandma Lelah.)

My cousin was in the USMC and did a tour in Iraq.

My college roommates' (now) husband is currently serving in the USMC and has been in service for 12 years. He's career military. He has been blessed by being given jobs that require him to remain stateside throughout his career, but he loves it. Before we all started having kids, I used to go up for a long weekend to stay with them at Cherry Point MAS for a long weekend every summer. I had a blast.

Two of my 3 step-brothers are currently serving overseas in branches of the military (one in the Army, one in the Navy). Despite the fact that their dad (my step-dad) is the MOST flaming liberal I know personally, even he is completely supportive of them and their choices to serve our country through their military service.

I've always had a healthy respect for the military and those who serve our country. I like that quote by Demi Moore in A Few Good Men when Kevin Pollack asks her why she likes "them" so much. "Because they stand upon a wall and say, "Nothing's going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch."

Thanks to all the military personnel out there tonight and every night. Thanks for serving our country and keeping us safe. Thank you to those who lost their lives in that pursuit. And thank you to the families of those who lost their lives for our freedom.

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment