Monday, October 3, 2011

Red hats

My great-aunt passed away last week and today was her funeral. It was a very nice service and all my cousins were there (sans the one who is away at school out of state) even my cousin W who I often jokingly refer to as "my deadbeat cousin" because he often seems to forget he has an extended family even though he lives within a mile of my mom and me. My Aunt Jean was a very friendly, fun-loving, and flamboyant lady so there were lots of people and lots of colorful flowers all over. It was so nice for her children to see how much she was loved.

My usually tough uncle was there and I heard him let out a sob when he stood by the casket, which surprised me. I guess you never really know a person and how they'll react to a family loss. I don't even want to know what he'll do when my Gramma passes - I don't even want to think about it, really.

We saw the movie Courageous over the weekend and both my husband and I were really moved by it and it's message. We have spent the bulk of the weekend discussing the changes we need to make to the way we live and the way we parent. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend that you see this movie.

I'm increasingly nervous that I'm not going to have a good turn out for my Kick Off party - I haven't heard back from anyone else yet (though my Gramma did tell me that she is planning to come down for it!) and when I mentioned my new endeavor to my dad over the weekend, he didn't seem that supportive or encouraging, which sort of surprised. I would have thought that he would be all about me trying to do something to earn some money, etc. but he seemed a little sarcastic about it. Ah well.






1 comment: