Friday, March 26, 2010

Gma

My husband's grandmother passed away today. We call the call from his mom who found her just as we were sitting down to dinner. It's all a little wild, since she had surgery scheduled for next monday and everyone was feeling very hopeful that it was going to really help her feel so much better and that she would be radically improved over time.

I cannot imagine how my MIL feels. Gma was 81 and not in the greatest health, but to find her like that would be so freaky. To come across your own mother would be horrible. My husband went to be with her and I'm a little worried for him, as well. He didn't get the chance to eat dinner, he's also upset and stressed and tired.

I'm tired. It's late and I just want to go to bed, but I want to stay up and be here for him when he gets home. It's going to be a rough weekend.

I'm watching TV to avoid the too quiet house. I can hear Fuss coughing in her sleep. I want to hold her and make her feel better, but I don't want to wake her, either. I will let her sleep.

I have no idea how to explain that Gma isn't here anymore to Fuss. She loved spending time with Gma, loved cuddling up to her and making her laugh. She was very good at making Gma laugh. I can picture her sitting on the hospital bed the other day, mooching apple sauce off Gma's hospital dinner. They were both so happy to be hanging out together. We took a cell picture, I hope my husband kept it, even though it wasn't the greatest quality. I can tell her that Gma went to heaven, but she won't understand what that means. She'll think it's like when Daddy goes to work and will expect her to be coming back at some point. How do you explain this to a 2-year-old?

1 comment:

  1. I would check at the library to see if there are any good children's books that may explain death in terms that kids can grasp. Even though she is little, you are right, she will get that something is up. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete