Thursday, January 11, 2007

Friends

Kellie was talking about her lack of friends the other day and I started to think about my friend situation. I would say I’m friendly and like to socialize, but since college ended – even high school – my social life has diminished. My bridesmaids were my sister, my BF, my old college roommate whom I have talked to twice since, and my then-11 year old cousin. And truly, there was no one else to ask.

I have friends at work, but we don’t “hang out” or do anything outside of the office or the 8:30-5:30 M-F schedule. The youngest girl in the office and I went out once, for drinks immediately following work and we said we’d do it again, but we didn’t. And my BF and I are close and we talk on the phone several times a week, but we have very different lives right now. She is the mother on 1 3yr old and is 9 mos. Pregnant w/ #2. I also have a friend who has 2 children and when we get to see each other, we love it, but we really don’t have lots of opportunities to see each other. I know when I have kids, we’ll probably get much closer (especially since she’ll be watching my kids while I go to work, since she has a daycare), but for now… That’s it. Sort of sad. But then, I read some of these blogs and I realize that I am not alone in this. At what point in your life do you realize that you have no friends? I have to wonder if my mother ever went through this. She has 2 best friends (the Sharons) who have been in her life forever (seriously, one goes back to freshman year of high school). And she’s always been fairly social with my friends mothers when I was in school, and now her Plant People (more later on that subject). Is this totally normal for those my age? Especially ones who don’t have children? Of those I would like ot hang out with, or used to hang out with, they all have kids. Most of them multiple kids. With the exception of Shaggy (not his real name, but he bares a striking resemblance to the cartoon friend of Scooby Doo) http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/8a/250px-Shaggy_scooby_wnsd2.jpg and an ex-boyfriend (whom I really don’t like to hang with anymore) and his reallyreally young wife, all of our old “singles” crowd have children. Part of this is because, being best friends with my sister, I have always had older friends and part of this is because I think maybe, Mr Moose and I are slacking in the kiddie dept, but I digress.

When I have kids, will it make a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment