Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Things that make me go Hmmmm (updated)

1. My daughter is a perfect angel when she is in public with a bunch of people. We were with an old friend of mine and her family and friends most of the day yesterday, and despite not getting her nap until late when we left, she was sweet and fun and well-behaved and polite. Why can't she be like that with me?

2. I had a bit of a meltdown Sunday night - the kids were climbing, crying, fussing, kicking, shoving, slapping me all day - and my husband went off for a few hours of fun in the middle of the day. We had been watching something on TV and I couldn't hear for all the noise and chaos and my husband was happily piddling on the computer, ignoring it all. I tried to hide in the bedroom and he came after me to see what was wrong. I ended up telling him I was done, taking a long hot soak in the bathtub and then we had a long talk about how I needed more of a break and how despite the fact that I told him to go (I know he needs down time, too) I was kinda pissed when he left to go out with his friend.

3. I recently ran into a group of girls I went to high school with. Between the 4 of us, we are the ones who married within my graduating class and the class below us. They have all also had 2 kids a piece ranging from the oldest being in Kindergarten to the youngest being about 5 or 6 months old. Standing near them made me feel so inadequate. They were all skinny and looked fabulous. In one case, I think one of the girls looked better than she did in high school. I felt like a frumpy blob. I've put on more than 40 or 50 lbs since high school.

4. However, yesterday we spent the day with a friend of mine - probably my oldest friend that I still keep in touch with (we met the first day of Kindergarten and became fast friends) and she is pretty much exactly my age, has never been athletic (like the girls I mentioned above who were very athletic in high school) but she hasn't had any kids yet. She has always been on the thinner side, not overly curvy like me (who has always had a lot more hips than most of the people I grew up with. My midwife and my mom tell me I have childbirthing hips) and she was swimming in a tiny bikini yesterday with my kids... I noticed that her body wasn't so perfect anymore, either. She's not fat - not anywhere near as heavy as I am, but she's not tight and toned and perfectly shaped anymore, either. We're in our early 30s, so I know it starts to get harder to keep in shape, but it made me feel a little better about myself that I'm not the only one struggling with my body, and failing to keep up my high school physique. (Not that I was hard-bodied in high school, let me assure you. But I was significantly skinnier.)

5. And here is a pic of the new curly thing I'm trying to do with my hair. It's not a great picture, but it was a great hair day.


There are lots more things that make me go Hmmmm. But I have a wailing baby, so I must continue that later.

2 comments:

  1. I like the curls!

    Spencer does that too - it's lovely because everybody is so impressed with him, but infuriating, because why can't he be nicer when it's just us? I feel your pain.

    I also feel your pain on the body-image front. I may have been losing a lot of weight lately, but I still struggle bad with tone. I took a picture of my flabby belly with the intention of posting it on my blog to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to tone it but I don't have that much chutzpah. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks great! I love it!

    I wasn't skinny in high school (I was in college) and it's nice not to be nervous about going back to my hometown. Obviously I wish I looked better, but at least I don't look that much worse.

    ReplyDelete