Monday, September 20, 2010

DINKs

There was a time not so long ago when I wouldn't have missed a sporting event that my husband was playing in for anything - no matter how insignificant the event (including a really pathetic softball league he played on for several mini-seasons) but now...

Some of the games start at 8:30 or 9:30 and they are a half hour away from home. Which means they are WAY too late for Fuss to be out at the ballpark running around like a crazy girl. We go to the 6:30 or 7:30 games (despite the fact that the 7:30 games still make it way past bedtime by the time we get home) but we just can't handle the later time slots. We'll be missing the game tonight, and I haven't been to one since the week before the baby was born. (there were a couple of weeks off due to the Labor Day holiday and a rain out last week)

It just made me think of all the ways our lives have changed since we had kids. There are plenty of obvious things, of course - more mouths to feed, little laundry to add to the pile, carseats, etc. But I think sometimes it's the little things that were so unexpected. And sometimes it's those things that I miss the most. Being able to just go out for ice cream if I feel like it at 9PM. Making overnight spontaneous gettaway plans.

I love having kids - I love being a mom. The good far outweighs the bad. But sometimes, I look back at my old life and there are things I miss about that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment