Monday, June 22, 2009

Thoughts i've been thinking about

1. When do I move The Fuss into a non-crib bed? I was looking at her this morning when I went in to wake her and she about 7 inches to go until she is the same length as the mattress. I don't think she's going to grow 7 inches over night or anything, but I also don't want her to feel cramped, etc. And I don't want to be in a rush to transition her into a "big-girl bed" when I'm 8 months pregnant because we need the crib for the new baby, ya know? Also: Am planning to skip the toddler bed for twin bed w/ a rail attached, is that stupid?

2. I am concerned about both the development of her speech and the growth of her hair. It is still amazingly thin on top. It's getting longer, curlier (yay!) and thicker in the back, but, especially when she is sweaty, the top of her head looks almost like it has bald patches. When should it be "normal" by? And on her speech - I know she still has 2 more months until the magic age of 18 months, but so often I feel like I work with her really well for a few days and I get a semblance of new vocabulary ("what does a cow say?" "moo", etc.) but then after 2-3 days of her saying said things (if that) she stops. She won't say them any more. Is that normal?

3. Lately, she has been especially snuggly in the morning. I call it AM snuggles. Before The Fuss was born, my dog Murphy the Moo and I would have AM Moo Snuggles. The funny thing is, she climbs into my lap and lays her head on my shoulder or chest for a minute and then starts to wiggle - she wiggles and wiggles until I feel like she's trying to climb into my skin - it's like she wants to be as close to me as possible, and then she wants to be even closer. I love snuggling with her, but the clawing at me can get frustrating. When she is done snuggling, she tends to throw herself backwards. She loves to hang upside down. She loves to just hang there with the top of her head pointing toward the ground. And if I hold her up, she tosses her head back, so she can get as close to upside down as she can with her torso sitting upright. It's hysterical.

4. Yesterday, for Father's Day, we went swimming at my Dad's. Daddy Fuss tried to get The Fuss to hold her breath by blowing in her face just before dunking her. She hates getting water in her eyes (even washing her hair is a traumatic event) so you can imagine it didn't go over real well. My dad was trying to get her to do it, even when we had stopped. Later, she was playing a game with my dad. She was tossing things in from outside the pool - little floaty toys, etc. He would toss them back out and she would throw them in - back and forth. They had moved to the deep end of the pool in their game and she toppled in. My heart stopped for a split second when I watched it happen from the other end of the pool. My dad was an inch away from her. He grabbed her just after she hit the water, she wasn't in any danger, and I knew she was okay. (we never would have let her play at the edge like that had an adult not been close by) My dad thought is was funny. He laughed and laughed. She was startled at best, scared at worst. I'm simply worried that she's going to be so scared of the water that she'll never learn to swim. I never liked getting my face wet when I was a little kid, either - until I learned to swim. Then, I loved it (especially, before I began to think about my appearance and what it was doing to my hair and make up).

5. I'm drinking a lot of caffeine lately. I was down to one can of Coke per day for awhile, with the occasional second one. Then I moved to 2 cans of Coke - one in the late AM and one for lunch. Now, I think I get 2-4 per day and I think that's probably too much. I need to work on cutting back, but I am struggling with it. I love Coke. I love caffeine. I love coffee and lattes, etc. I'm finding it hard to figure out what to drop.

I read this great quote today. I don't know who said it, but apparently, it was said at Eleanor Roosevelt's funeral, about her. She said, "She would rather light a candle than curse the darkness." I love it. I need to remember that more often. I want someone to say that about me someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment