Monday, February 26, 2007

Homemaker Meme (even though I'm only a part-time homemaker)

I picked this up from Arwen's blog.

Aprons (Y/N): Occasionally. I bought one for Mr Moose that says “Kiss the Cook” for our first Christmas together and we have a green one, but I don’t always remember to use them. When I’m making something splattery I try and use it, or if I’m dressed up.
Baking (Favorite thing to bake): Cookies. I love baking cookies. One year for Christmas I baked about 12 different kinds. Mr Moose loves my Cowboy Cookies best. I’m also famous for my Christmas Snickerdoodles.
Clothesline (Y/N): There are 2 that came with the house. The big one in the yard just gets in my way when I’m running after the dogs. The little one by the laundry room gets used occasionally for delicates, but that can get embarrassing when my dad comes over.
Donuts: As Arwen said, “whoever invented Krispy Kreme has my eternal devotion.” My mom used to make these killer cinnamon sugar donuts when I was little and I was determined to make them awhile back, but it never happened.
Every Day (One homemaking thing you do every day): Closest to every day probably has something to do with dishes, but I can’t say I do it EVERY day.
Freezer (Do you have a separate deep freeze?): Nope.
Garbage Disposal (Y/N): No. I wish we did sometimes, but our home inspector said it would screw with our plumbing if we installed one, so we’re without for good.
Handbook (What is your favorite homemaking resource?): My grandma. If I ever have a recipe emergency, I call her. She knows it all.
Ironing (Love it or hate it?): My dad owns a dry cleaner, so I get pressing done for free. Occasionally, I have to iron something for Mr Moose that we washed and he wants to wear, but it doesn’t come up that often.
Junk drawer (Y/N) (Where?): Unofficially. I have one in my dresser and my night stand.
Kitchen (Design and decorating): We have a small kitchen that is on the verge of being updated somewhat. We’re working on the how and when with my dad. My mom gave us her old dishwasher for Christmas and offered to help pay for installation, etc. We need new countertops, as the previous owners were very hard on them and the cabinets are ugly and the bottom ones are inefficient. I’d also love to get rid of the yellow tile backsplash.
Love (What is your favorite part of homemaking?): Cooking/entertaining. I love to put together a good meal including appetizers (I’m queen of appetizers) and desserts.
Mop (Y/N): Rarely. And I consider mopping to be done with the Swiffer Wet I bought when we moved in to our terrazzo/linoleum house.
Nylons: I rarely where them in general and never while doing housework.
Oven (Do you use the window or open the door to check?): Like Arwen, I use the window mostly now that I have one. Our apartment didn’t, which annoyed me having grown up with one.
Pizza (What do you put on yours?): I prefer pepperoni and mushrooms. I can’t stand onions or pineapple, but anything else I’m reasonably willing to pick off.
Quiet (What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?): Depending on the day, etc. I either read, nap or watch TV.
Recipe card box (Y/N): I own one, but it’s not overly organized. Mostly, we have books and I have a notebook with plastic sleeves that I tuck print outs, newspaper clippings, etc. which is my lifeline for receipes from others.
Style of house: No idea what “style” it is – probably a ranch. One story, vaulted ceilings. I love it, but I’m already worried about the space issues when we have kids (it’s a 2/1).
Tablecloths and napkins? I love them, but rarely get them out except for entertaining. I should use them more, since I have several sets of placemats and napkins that are casual. I have a couple of tablecloths, but only my Christmas one fits my current table.
Under the kitchen sink (Organized or toxic wasteland?): It’s pretty reasonable, really.
Vacuum (How many times per week?): Um, once per month, maybe? And that’s only to do bug treatments so the dogs don’t get eaten alive. But we don't have carpet, just rugs.
Wash (How many loads of laundry do you do in a week?): 2-3. I’m getting better about it. When we were at the apartment, we’d do everything all at once, together every other week or so at the laundry mat. Now I do approximately 2 loads on weekends and the occasional load during the week.
X's (Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?): Um, no.
Yard (Who does what?): It’s pretty much been just Mr Moose so far. We’re starting to plan our landscaping, so I want to do more. We just bought some plants over the weekend, so some day soon I’ll actually have to spend some time in the yard/garden.
Zzz's: I typically allow myself 8 hours, but lately, I haven’t done too well staying asleep when I’m supposed to, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment