Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Total randomness

This post will be totally random and all over the place. You have been so warned.

Julia’s Mom Moment post about Patrick’s name and the disasters she’s dealt with regarding him starting school and not answering to his given first name, etc. caught my attention. I’m name obsessed, have been for decades. I used to “collect” names as a kid. I wanted to be a writer and was totally obsessed with having perfect and unusual names for each character. So I have some very strong opinions when it comes to naming, especially my own offspring, so while I did put a rather long comment up for Julia to peruse, I thought I’d share some of my thoughts here, on my own blog.

I’m all for choosing a name with a nickname in mind and planning for the child to grow into the name. I won’t choose a name I won’t use, ever, even if I like the nickname, and I won’t name my child simply the nickname version just because I plan to call him/her that all the time. For example, I love Maddie, but am not crazy about Madison or Madeline. I’d love to name my daughter after my grandmother for sentimental reasons, but I’m not crazy about her name, Lorraine, and while nickname options have been suggested (Raine is my favorite, Lori is another option) I don’t want to give my daughter a name I don’t like and will never use unless angered. Also, I think it’s silly to saddle a kid with a name that is a nickname if the more adult sounding name is just as nice. For instance, don’t legally name a kid “Abby” when Abigail, nn Abby is perfectly fine. I want my child’s name to have options, or to be a name that will grow with age. (Some names don’t have obvious nicknames, and that is fine as long as it will “fit” on a baby as well as an adult. I site “Kirsten” as a perfect example and one that was very high on my list for quite awhile). My BFF, though only ever wants to give her child the name that he/she will be called and that bugged me. Personally, I don’t ever want to answer to my childhood nn ever again. (I’m out of luck, I know as way too many people really only know me as that) and I love that I have a perfectly reasonable, more grown up version to use in it’s place. It also bugs me when people refuse to use the first name they gave to heir children. My MIL, for example was born Barbara L—and was always called by her middle name. She grew up hating her legal first name. Her family never even considered calling her by that first name, so my question is, why ever would you name your child that in the first place? In a case where it is a family name and dad is named the same thing as the son, or whatever, I get the need for the differenciation. That is a different case.

On another blog I read this week (I’m sorry, I cannot remember whose it was and I apologize for forgetting) a pregnant woman mentioned that she is having trouble remembering words during conversations and was worried that she was losing it or something. I have been having that problem, too. Or a mild form of effasia where you mix up words altogether. I think it’s the pregnancy and what it is doing to our bodies.

Oh, my freaking goodness, the BACKACHES. Yesterday it started in the extreme – I’ve always had back troubles, twinges, etc. I love that Mr. Moose is willing and able (and extremely talented) to give me a massage. I read this morning that backaches are one of the curses of pregnancy and last night that was completely true. At one point I swear it was starting to cause numbness in my shoulder blade area. It was freaking AWFUL. It just hit me again and I’ve decided to agree to go to the chiropractor. Anything at this point.

I don’t mean to brag, and I’m still knocking on wood every time I mention this, but I haven’t really thrown up in 4 days. I’m liking that aspect of the 2nd trimester a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment