Monday, November 12, 2012

More info than you ever wanted to know about my TV habits...

My friend April got to go to the Blathering over the weekend. I wanted to pack myself in her suitcase and go with her, because I have been wanting to meet some of these ladies for a VERY long time AND The Blathering was being held in New Orleans, which is possibly my favorite city to visit of all time (oh the food!!!), but alas, I couldn't go.

However, in prep for The Blathering, April wrote (and videoed) several question/answer/informational type things and I started to have a whole conversation in her comments about one thing in particular... which I decided was more suitable to my own blog than hers, so here we are, talking about TV.

I didn't watch a lot of TV as a small child, but what I watched, I remember... Sesame Street, Mr Rodgers, of course. My parents watched a LOT of M.A.S.H. reruns so I've seen pretty much every episode of that series (but could never get through the movie... I love Elliot Gould, but to me, Hawkeye will always be Alan Alda) I wasn't ALLOWED to watch Friends as a teen, and my freshman year of college, we didn't have regular TV (no cable in my dorm and we couldn't get a signal for the antennae, so one of my housemate's aunt would send us VHSes of Dawson's Creek, Friends and something else periodically, but she wasn't GREAT at catching every episode, so...) Once we got cable (circa 1986?) I was a Disney Channel junkie - now defunct shows such as Welcome to Pooh Corner, Belle and Sebastian, You and Me Kid, Today's Special and reruns of the original Mickey Mouse Club... My teen years brought in Saved by the Bell and California Dreams and TGIF (Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, Perfect Strangers, etc.). I would sneak a peek at Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place (forbidden by my mom, but she let me buy the magazines so I learned plenty about them through magazines and my friends) and eventually Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And my sister and I had a regular date of pizza and Home Improvement.

College, though, really hooked me on TV. The WB shows (Buffy, Felicity, Angel, and of course, Gilmore Girls - possibly the BEST SHOW EVER) and then a bunch of more traditionally promoted shows, such as Grey's Anatomy (which I still watch, but only on Netflix - no commercials, no waiting week to week).

Nowadays, a lot of our recent favorites have moved on/been cancelled, so we're down to NCIS (the original, my husband is not into the LA spin off) and we are addicted to the non-traditional season shows on USA network (Burn Notice, White Collar and Suits being our favorites). And we watch a lot of shows on Netflix - I'm currently catching up on Private Practice (something I haven't watched more than occasionally since the 2nd season or at ALL since since the 3rd), having just finished last season's Glee and Grey's. We recently discovered Flashpoint, Sons of Anarchy, and Sherlock on Netflix, too. In phases we watch reruns of How I Met Your Mother (which was apparently a REALLY long story... really ready for him to get to the point) and Big Bang Theory and every once in awhile, my husband throws in a rerun of Scrubs just for something different.)

So, as you can see, we watch a lot of TV. We used to have a DVR (I REALLY miss our cable box DVR - where we could set it up to record an entire season, which gave us the freedom to go on with our lives during the week and then park in front of the TV on the weekends) but now if we miss it, we miss it. Or we watch it on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment