Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Climb

You've probably all heard it already. You can tell I don't listen to a lot of radio, and what I do listen to is the Oldies station (love those oldies), but I just heard the song "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. I've heard a lot about Miley over the last couple of years - she's a cutie and she's rumored to have a lot of talent and her parents try and keep her grounded, etc. I'm not 12, so I haven't really paid attention. I don't watch the Disney channel much, so I've seen about 12 seconds of her show. I haven't really followed her very much.

But I love this song. Love it. It's so inspirational.
The chorus goes something like this
There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
It's always gonna be an uphill battle
And sometimes I'm gonna have to lose.
It ain't about how fast I get there,
It ain't about what's on the other side
It's the climb


I think sometimes we forget that life is what you make of it. There's always planning, always looking forward. From the time you're old enough to talk people ask you "what do you want to be when you grow up?" People ask "what college are you going to?" when you're in high school, "what's your major?" and "what kind of job do you want?" when you're in college. They ask "what kind of man do you want to marry?" and "how many kids do you want?" etc. Sometimes I think we all need to be reminded that we're missing a lot by not enjoying the here and now - the climb, if you will.

I know that I sometimes get so frustrated by the actions of The Fuss - yesterday was a particularly bad day in that department. I just wanted the day to end and to move on. I daydream about when she's older and can talk to me and the adventures we will have. And that's all well and good, but sometimes I need the reminder that I need to enjoy TODAY. She is growing SO fast. I already feel like her babyhood is basically over. I need to enjoy what I have, while I've got it. I need to relish the cute little way she laughs and points and climbs into my lap.

So thanks, Miley Cyrus, for that reminder today.

No comments:

Post a Comment