Thursday, July 9, 2009

Book Reviews (June '09)

I got this idea from here and thought it was great. I'm an avid reader, so my list is long (usually). I don't have any definite goals to my reading as far as numbers go, but I thought I'd share some of the books I've read recently and tell you a little bit about them.

1. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult: Loved it. Could have done without the last 2 chapters (or at least should have had a tissue), but it was really great. This was my first Picoult and I admit that I read it because I want to go see the movie (my mother ingrained in me that you read the book, then watch the movie)but I will be picking up more of her books in the future.

2. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah: This was my other vacation book and I loved it. It's about 2 friends who meet when they're in 8th grade or something and stay friends for decades. Through thick and thin (and sick and sin - lots of points to anyone who can tell me where that quote is from). It reminded me a lot of my childhood best friend and I had a really long email conversation with her to sort of rekindle our friendship.

3. Happens Every Day by Isabel Gilies: My SIL lent me this book and it wasn't what I expected at all. She kept telling me it was by the woman who played Stabler's wife on SVU and I guess I was just not expecting what it was - an autobiographical tale of how her marriage unraveled. It was really interesting, and by the end, I was very happy with the fact that I had read it.

4. The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers: I've read this book several times over the last 7 years or so. It is sad and poignant and heartbreaking and emotional. It's not light reading, but it hits on a very tricky subject (the main character was raped and got pregnant from it and her life was turned upside down because of it).

5. Take One by Karen Kingsbury: This book made me a Kingsbury fan. It's Christian fiction. I like Christian fiction, but struggle with the lack of realism sometimes. I always feel like the characters are too pure or too perfect or come to knew realizations too easily. But this book was AWESOME. I loved how real the characters seemed. It's the first in a series and I am chomping at the bit to pick up the next one and I'm looking forward to reading her other series's as well. I actually discovered that I have another of her books in my shelf and have picked it up to read beginning this week. I don't know why I didn't take my Gramma's recommendation (she has yet to steer me wrong) and read this author long ago.

That was the month of June. I'm still reading a bunch of parenting books that I began in June, but I won't mention them in review until I'm done - or closer to done with them, but suffice it to say I'm picking up a lot of info from them.

Hope you have the chance to check out these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment