Monday, January 11, 2010

I'm so glad my kid doesn't have hooves...

Fuss came down with a fine, bumpy, rash on her hands and legs last night. Add to that the weird little red marks around her mouth that weren't clearing up (I thought they were cold sores or irritation from the paci or something) and I decided to take her to the pediatrician this morning. Turns out she has Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, a virus that creates sore, painful bumps on the above mentioned body parts.

In telling those who needed to know (my husband, my OB, etc.) several people confused it with Hoof and Mouth Disease, a disease that only effects animals with cloven hooves. Oops.

It's pretty contagious, so I'm debating the wisdom of taking her to work with me. You can carry the virus even if it doesn't show in you, and while it primarily effects little children, and there aren't a lot of those around at work, I worry anyhow. But at the same time, we really need the money, especially with the new baby coming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment